Thursday, March 6, 2008

Speak when spoken to


In my former life, I worked for a company that provided taxi and limousine transport for its employees. Once the ego-high of being driven around the place wears off, it becomes routine and just another part of the drudgery of making a living.

As I remember, the limousine drivers were all good guys and girls, who stuck by a maxim I now use: speak when you are spoken too, converse when the customer converses, and remain silent when they do. Simple, right? Not necessarily.

It is easy to slip into the conversational habit of talking about yourself when a customer gets chatty. But the relationship is very different than if you and I were talking. The limo customer truly isn't interested in what I think, unless they specifically ask. The best response comes when I keep the conversation centred around them. It's a basic technique of reflecting what they say back to them, and asking open-ended questions.

Occasionally, someone will connect on a personal level, at which point it's clear that they want my opinion. But most people don't get my humour, so I gave up doing my bits in the first month.

It's the constriction of the role that is the problem - the context. People see a driver as only a driver. And what driver could possibly know more than sports, weather, and road conditions? Revealing interesting experiences from my life flummoxes them, because it jars with their vision of what a driver should be.

So much of my time is spent biting my tongue, smiling, and licking arse, like every other working stiff.

9 comments:

Girl said...

You are the book being judged by its cover.



Do you find that this job has made you look at people differently, that you look past the outside more often?

I try to remind myself to do this. I am not always successful

nitebyrd said...

It's been my experience that no matter who you are talking "at" they are much more interested in themselves than in you.

Since most people bore me, I just let them ramble on about their fabulous selves, nodding and grunting at appropriate moments.

Finding kindred souls is rare and extraordinary. When you find them it's brilliant.

Iron Pugilist said...

I never speak to a customer about anything except his order. Anything else he has to say, I have no interest in. Except if it's about his hot daughter. Or wife.

savannah said...

yeah, it's what you do, not who you are, sugar. ;-) i like the last line...we all do it.

L.P. said...

it gets old at times, doesn't it?

nitebyrd said...

Hey, Wombat! You okay?

Darkneuro said...

The limo customer truly isn't interested in what I think, unless they specifically ask.
Nope. They're not. And some will ask and then not expect or want an answer.

Wombat said...

Sorry to have left y'all for that time.

Back now.

I missed everyone.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting article. When a big event happens many people like to travel in style with the best chaueffer services they can find. That is why they look at getting limo hire for the big day. Proms, weddings, and even just a party night out so they look like a big shot it is a big deal to roll up in a limo and have the driver open the door for you.