Monday, September 13, 2010

Puke


The Boss levies a $250.00 puke charge if ever someone loses their dinner in a limousine.

What he withholds from customers is that he doesn't pay for a professional cleaning of the limo. He expects we drivers to make the vomit disappear. Granted, we get the money, so a case could be made for us to encourage drinking to excess and barfing. But closer examination and common sense dictate what a bad deal it is all around.

Contemplating this whole cleaning business, I guess that when chauffeurs drove coaches with real horsepower, they were expected to clean up after the nags. Huh. I wonder.

The normal deal is that when we return a limo to the depot, we clean the interior. Oftentimes it will take an hour or more to ready everything so that the next driver need only add ice and be on his way. As you can imagine, the appeal of this at 5:00 am is limited. But if the car's going out the next (same) day, one has no choice.

Choice, however, is what I offer customers who do upchuck in a limo. This happened a few weeks ago, when the two women in a party of ten both barfed. The both attempted to make the window, and they succeeded to a point.

Naturally, no-one tells the driver that this has occurred. They'll hope I'll miss it, but experience is a valuable commodity. With some people, I check. So it was at 4:00 am that I was running my flashlight over the interior and came across the telltale drips and goops of vomit. Two areas. I pointed this out to the guys, and gave them the choice: You clean it, or I do it for $250.

That's how I came to be watching three drunken bums use six rolls of paper towel and a goodly amount of cleaning product to clean up their chicks' vomit. Just when they thought it was done, I'd point out a chunk or a dribble they'd missed.

How wonderful to see off-duty police officers grovelling.





Vintage Scottish chauffeur from this interesting site [link]

7 comments:

Ken said...

I can't believe the boss makes drivers clean up puke. F*cker.

Wombat said...

My thought exactly, Ken. And he wonders why he can't keep drivers.

Sammy said...

Wow, good story! I haven't had anyone puke yet *knocks on wood* nor would I want anyone to do so..eww

My company charges $250 but I definitely don't have to clean it up. They take it to get it detailed. Thank goodness phew!

Wombat said...

*knocking on wood for you too, Sammy*

Yup, it's totally gross. And people are unwilling to own up to it. What, are we in elementary school here?

*shakes head slowly*

Timmy, did you do this? *Pointing at pool of chunder*

Ya gotta laugh...but I'd laugh with more mirth if my boss was like yours and did things properly.

*fat chance*

Anonymous said...

I hate that boss of yours more and more every day.

The last part made me laugh!

Wombat said...

Me too, Snaf, me too.

Yeah, two of the guys were local city cops. A few firefighters were mixed in the crowd too.

I was completely pissed off because I'd worked hard with them all night...and no tip. But there's another story in that particular episode too...

Let's just say that my opinion of our friends in law enforcement is continuing to harden.

nitebyrd said...

You've got some boss there, Wombat! Nice. Even with the money, cleaning up puke at 4:00 am (or any time!) isn't pleasant.

YouTube would LOVE a video of those guys! LOL