Saturday, August 1, 2009

Emergency!


The Boss called with a rush-job on Saturday, today - a rival limo company's car was in trouble, and they needed our biggest stretch to complete the run. No time for showering or dressing, the quicker I could pick up the stranded passengers, the better.

Grabbing my work bag, I headed out, mentally figuring how long it would take to pick up the limo from the depot, drive to the scene of the emergency, take them the forty or so miles to their destination, drive back to the depot, gas up, clean up, and do the paperwork. This is the way (I guess) every limo driver's brain works; we're figuring out the time we'll arrive home, or be drinking our first beer.

The stranded limo driver called me, sounding desperate.

"How long for you to get here?" he asked plaintively.

"About twenty-five or thirty minutes" I replied.

"Oh God", he breathed. "I hope I'm still alive by then."

Grim times ensue for the chauffeur when his steed fails him, for people can get mighty antsy mighty quickly. When things go awry the only refuge is the truth and apology. If customers think that being late to dinner is worth blowing an aorta, then that's their problem. From the reactions I have witnessed, you would think that we purposely orchestrate mechanical failure.

But none of that was my problem in this case; I was the knight in shining armor, the humble rescuer saving the day. They were grudgingly thankful for me being there, but still not overly happy. But I don't care. I'm having a beer.

4 comments:

savannah said...

yippiee and here it is saturday night, ya done a good deed and got paid for it, and now y'all can enjoy the rest of the evening! real cool, slick! ;~D xoxox

Wombat said...

You got it, Sugar!

Happiness all around.

*cheers*

Don said...

Just days after your post about your fear of having the car crap out on you and you post this! Amazing coincidence. Glad you were the white knight!

Wombat said...

I know! I felt so sorry for the other driver, you could see the fear in his eyes.

Somewhere, sometime, my time is coming though, I know it, Don. That dream was too clear. Until then though, I am taking your advice, and idly contemplating bachelorettes.