Sunday, September 13, 2009

Alzheimers


If he asked me ten times, he asked me forty. Sir, we're in Florida, and I'm driving you to your condo. The old guy whose ride didn't work out ended up with me, to our mutual discomfort. He thought he was in Connecticut, having just left Florida, but I was definitely in Florida. And I had the humidity to prove it.

Because times are slow in the limo game, being on call 24/7 is now a part of the gig. It's somewhat like begging; take what you can get, and always have your hat out. We're better dressed than most beggars, and we brush our teeth, but we're basically in the same game. If you feed at the bottom, be prepared for shit to fall on you from above.

That was how I ended up with this poor disoriented man. The trained folks who normally look after befuddled oldsters couldn't turn up, so minimum wage dozy me had to look after this man who should never, ever be left alone. The Boss is unable to say no, and I'm obliged to say yes. That's how modern business works.

Fortunately, the ride was short, and I had the son's far-away number. I called him five times in twenty minutes attempting to allay the old guy's concerns about where I was taking him, who would be there to meet him, and where are we again?

Each time, my guy said "That was Frank. He's my brother".

In reality, that was Robert. He's his son.

Get used to it. The dumbest generation in history, the baby boomers, is coming to a town near you. Decades of drugs, booze, therapy and self-indulgence are gonna land smack bang in your lap.

At least I'm getting $7.21 per hour. How much will they pay you?

4 comments:

Don said...

My mom had dementia or Alzheimers for nine years before she passed away. I cannot imagine someone putting her in a limo alone for a ride anywhere. Leaving that old guy to go somewhere with you is literally criminal. Glad you got him where he had to go but OMG. What a risk.

Wombat said...

My sentiment exactly, Don. I thought it was criminal as well. The poor old guy could have found himself in real trouble, really quickly.

I was not impressed with the son.

Enigma said...

That is funny, in a tragic kind of way...my partners mother had dementia, and I looked after her for a while before she died, it was very, very difficult...poor old things, they just need someone to listen to them sometimes. Good on you Wombi for being so sweet.

Wombat said...

Thank you, Enigma. I now have a clear understanding of just how much patience it takes to care for someone who can't look around them, and note that they're where the sign says they are.

I cannot imagine what it's like.