Saturday, September 19, 2009

Beach Butt Bingo



With the limo trade as dead as a dodo, I have time to spend frivolously at the beach. It's a balance - my tan improves, my bank balance declines. That's the Zen of Chauffeurdom. I hope business will pick up sometime soon, because if not, I will have to look for something more.

However, in the dying weeks of summer before the start of Season, a few lazy days on Florida's best sand won't hurt too much. Fingers crossed.

A few months ago, I noticed the above sign at my favorite local swimming spot. The City erected them adjacent to carpark paths to the beach, with receptacles for cigarette trash attached to the poles. Hooray! Few things piss me off more than lying down on my towel only to find myself in an ash heap of butts left by some inconsiderate asshole.

Now I'm not averse to people smoking should they choose to. But lazy douchebags who have neither consideration for their fellow beach-goer nor the law truly cheese me off. How difficult is it to collect the product of your habit, stick it in your sunbag, and cart that shit off the beach?

Apparently it's beyond a lot of them. Just this morning, after a few laps between the buoys, I was relaxing on Lido Beach. Groups of Girl Scouts were all over, picking up (with gloved hands) butts and other beach detritus to "...keep the world clean". So it's come to this: children now volunteer as garbage collectors to do the work of indolent, selfish adults.

*

2 comments:

savannah said...

it is sad, sugar! even before i knew filters were not biodegrable, i used to slip them in an empty can rather than leave them on the beach! it's like putting your cigarette out on someone's living room floor, instead of using an ashtray, totally disrespectful and nasty! xoxoxo

(and yes, i quit smoking years ago.)

Wombat said...

Nice going, Sugar! I understand that nicotine is more addictive than heroin...very difficult to give up both physically and psychologically.

Thank you, though, for being considerate when you were smoking. It seems like a perfectly obvious thing to do, to me.