Monday, September 7, 2009

Birds fly south for winter


Swallows fly back to Capistrano. Salmon swim upstream to the mountains. Snowbirds leave the Midwest to flee to Florida. The rhythms of nature reassure us that everything remains the same, that the cycle of life continues. As humans I think we look for such guideposts, markers of time's arrow, end-points for epochs, starting-points for others.

So you can imagine my happiness when I saw a convoy of Michigan-plated recreational vehicles punting their way south on Saturday. Early September feels too soon, but memory being an untrustworthy mammal, I disregarded it. Maybe this will be a big season, with everyone and her great-aunt visiting Florida. Perhaps Michigan's 15% unemployment rate (some workers' paradise, that one) won't affect the annual migration south, and gobs of people will come on down.

Optimism is running through my arteries you see, for no good reason other than I spotted a couple of banged up Winnebagos trundling along I-75. Snowbirds have relatives, and relatives need transport to and from airports. Work for me. When relatives get together, they go out for dinner, and sometimes rent a limo. Work for me. And winter means celebration, which means drinking which means no self-driving. Work for me.

Snowbirds themselves don't spend that much money. It's what they portend about their associates that's making me happy. It's a sign. They're back. I might survive.

8 comments:

savannah said...

it's all relative, right, sugar? ;~D




(ok, bad pun, but gimme a break i've been painting for days it seems...)

(i also so why contractors drink massive amounts of beer!)

xoxoxox

Wombat said...

Don't worry, Sugar. I'm not snotty about puns.

You made me laugh!

Beer eh? *smile*

savannah said...

i meant "i also know why..." ;~D (re beer: nothing beats an ice cold stella artois, baby!)
xoxox

Wombat said...

Agreed.

Unless it's two ice-cold Stellas. ;-D

Don said...

Snowbirds do tend to clog up the roads a bit down in your part of the country. It's still kind of early but I'm sure there are a few. Gotta get the best RV sites and all that jazz. Drive carefully!

Wombat said...

I will, Don, don't you worry. FHP have been noticeable since last Friday everywhere around the Bay. Maybe someone found some money for gas for them?

You know, I hadn't thought about why the Snowbirds were here so early. Getting the best spot....that makes total sense. There had to be logic there somewhere.

Limousine Orlando said...

Great post, I agree and really enjoyed the post!

Wombat said...

Ah-hah. I see I'm not the only one with a vested interest in the return of the Snowbird. ;-D

Welcome, Mr/Mrs Orlando Limo.