Thursday, November 26, 2009

Clarity



How wonderful it is when people communicate. It's a rough survey, but from my chauffering experience, it appears that the more willing a passenger is to communicate, the more successful they are, at least in business. I imagine it's different in relationships, but possibly not.

A regular customer of The Boss's service is a Snowbird, running his northern United States based business from Florida from November until May. That's a feat by itself. When I knock on his front door to collect him, he's friendly, but direct:

- What's your name?

- I want these two bags in the trunk, and that one in the back seat

- We'll be leaving in less than ten minutes


Once we're in the car, he continues:

- I'm going to Fort Myers airport, Southwest Airlines

- I have six phone calls to make, so that will take most of the journey

- I'm not an old lady, so please drive crisply.


Perfect. Just perfect. If only they were all so clear. I am not a mind-reader.

4 comments:

savannah said...

y'all are gonna laugh, but this is basically what i say to miss daisy all the time! just tell me what you want/need because i don't read minds or understand sighs! but, in her defense, she is 87 and she is learning... ;~D xoxox

Wombat said...

"...or understand sighs."

Oh, my, Sugar, we are living in the same world. Only the actors are different.

Bless you.

Don said...

I'll bet 90% of all problems between husbands and wives would be cured if they were more direct. My first wife was a master at being indirect; part of the reason she is now my ex.

Wombat said...

Wouldn't it be great if we could all be direct and honest right from the start, Don? Especially with the opposite sex. Imagine the heartache and stress that would counter.

Oh well. Experience and mistakes are apparently what's needed to figure these things out. It's great you have done so.