Friday, January 1, 2010

Speak when you are spoken to.




If I had to train limousine drivers, I would start with what not to do. At the top of that list is not talking too much. In fact, less is almost always best, and the way to remember this is to only speak when spoken to.

Of the many differences between a taxi and a Town Car, the most important is the driver. Whereas taxi drivers can often be unstoppable chatterboxes, regaling their customers with whatever leaks from their brain, the chauffeur should be more circumspect. Pleasant and responsive, for sure, but restrained and calm too.

The way I look at it is that the customer is unlikely to have any interest in me. They probably think they know all about me anyway, or all they need to know. To them, I'm simple to categorize: Wombat's a limo driver. Seems like a good guy. And that's it.

So I try to look at it from their point of view, which is to say how everyone likes to look at the world: through their own biases and interests. When they do talk, I remove myself from the conversation, instead reflecting back to them the point of their comment, or feed on the substance behind the question. Being transparent is my aim.

Once you try it a few times, it's easy. Unless they specifically ask for personal experience, I remove the personal pronoun from my speech. Taxi drivers are all about the "I". Limo drivers are about the "you". We should affirm, or provide information, or ask pithy follow-ups or (with the right person) provide a wry comment.

Basically, it's about creating a comfortable experience where, for the length of the ride, they're the boss, and we're the minion.

4 comments:

savannah said...

i was the queen of everything (my birthday) yesterday, but today, i'm back to being a minion...miss daisy is the passenger and i am ready to quit...already! xoxoxo

Wombat said...

Yay you! Happy birthday, Sugar. I'm having a small party of my own in your honour right now. :-)

Can't help laughing at our shared minionhood, but I think yours is more trying than mine...and, as you've noted in the past, no tips for you!

raxter said...

Why only limo drivers, Sir W? Me thinks these pearls of wisdom are true for any trade or profession!! In my line of work, I have to undertake a lot of training sessions - job specific, general topics etc. I am so going to quote you liberally.

Classic, much impressed!

Wombat said...

Good point, Mr Raxter. Please quote as you choose, and if I can help with a speaking tour, let my agent know.

That would be at the same address at which you can find me. Ahem.

limousinelife@gmail.com