Tuesday, December 15, 2009

7-Eleven


Becoming a connoisseur of gas stations is one more benefit of driving limousines. Not just gas stations, but the convenience stores that accompany them are part of my extensive experience. Circle K, On the Run, am/pm; I have shopped and bought coffee in them all. The King of the Conveniences (here in the United States) is 7-Eleven, the store with the opening hours right in the name.

The green and red monster is now my service station of choice, because they seem to have the cheapest gasoline. I guess they have buying power over the distributors, being as big as they are, but it might also be that the fuel is a way to get you into their stores. The gas is a loss-leader so they can sell you lots of other crap.

And crap it is. My observation of my fellow 7-Eleven customer is that they are in a hurry, they smoke, they drink and they eat a rotten diet. We need to face facts and note that there is nothing - not one thing - in those stores that could be considered a nutritious foodstuff. It's all high-calorie, high fat, high carb, low end of the food-chain junk. And you have to line up to get some.

Horrible working hours, long days and an inability to eat on the job all make for some bad eating habits. That's my excuse for past explorations into the nether world of convenience store food, an apt description, because I am certain that much of the protein comes from the nether regions of animals. But I have forsworn that stuff in the interests of living beyond fifty.

The inescapable truth is this: Poor people pay the most for the worst food. That's just the way it is.




Also published here. [link]

2 comments:

Perakath said...

Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but why do you care about gas prices (over convenience of filling) when you're not paying from your own pocket?

Wombat said...

Fair question, Perakath. Mostly it's because I pay for the petrol from my own pocket until reimbursed by The Boss. That's on a two-weekly basis, so buying cheap gas means less risk for me.

Another reason is that 7-Elevens tend to have bigger forecourts than other places, handy with thirty-feet long stretch limos!

(Also, the coffee at the 7/11 is the best of the worst. But don't tell anyone.)