Sunday, August 29, 2010

Reverse Order


The driving gig gets to be boringly routine after a while. The boss calls around six in the evening with whatever he has for the next day. (No courtesy call if there's nothing, of course.)

As soon as he's finished talking, I work out how to fit my life around the driving jobs with which he's blessed me. The important bookend parameters are when I have to leave my place to pick up one of his cars, and when I'll be done.

Early in the summer His Highness provided me with a Tampa airport job. The customer was a regular, a lady who has a house locally the family use to escape Torontonian winters. She's the ideal client; happy, flexible, interesting, easy to chat to...and she's a generous (and, importantly, genuinely grateful) tipper.

A noon-time job like this one is always frustrating. From my place to collect the car, to her house, the drive to Tampa, the return, ten minutes to refuel, drop the car, back home adds up to three and one-half to four hours - the better part of a half a working day. If The Boss could attract sufficient business so we could string three or four or more together, that would be great. It would significantly up hour average hourly pay rate.

I'll stop dreaming now.

My thoughts were on anything but the job - I had things I was working on, people I wanted to call, stuff to do. Can you guess what I did?

Thinking.

Thinking.

Like a dope, my mind was stuck on the idea that I was picking her up from her house, and driving her to the airport. In fact, she was flying into Florida that day and wanted me to take her to her house.

Can you guess when I realized it? Yep, just as I approached her neighbourhood. I was the standard fifteen minutes early for the noted time...but that time was for the arrival of her Air Canada flight into an airport sixty-three miles away.

Man. Oh, man.

All my fault, all my own doing, all my own failure to concentrate.

4 comments:

Ken said...

How did it resolve? Was she angry?

Sammy said...

ouch! so, how did you pull this one off??

Anonymous said...

You mentioned her being flexible. Maybe you were able to contact her personally without The Boss knowing?
Wishful thinking?

Wombat said...

Ah, I didn't so much pull this one off as get lucky with a nice customer.

Part 2 of the story in a post, above.