Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Network


After a while, people get to know who you are. Word spreads, impressions are made, value judgements are lodged in brains.

I know this because I do it myself. This checkout person at the supermarket is better than that one, and I look for her; that bartender smiles and engages so I tip more; I never attend the Church of Starbucks because (with rare exception) they all suck.

Customer service is a battle of millimetres, fought to the tipping point, at which point all is lost or all is gained. Someone should write a book about that. (Ironic Joke.)

So when people start asking me to help them with limo or towncar bookings, I smell something's up. They'd rather deal with me than The Boss, who, more than ever, could give a shit.


Photo of the Cadillac Eldorado from here [link]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such similar lives we lead ;)

PS- Niiicceee El Dorado

Wombat said...

Yes, Miss Snaf, it's the rise of the underpaid and loved-by-the-customer employee. Or in my case, sub-contractor.

Nice to know we're in the same boat :-)

I know: Hot Wheels eh?

Lakota said...

Waves at Wombie! Saw you pop up in my feed and had to jump in to say hi.
~waves like a loon~ :P

Wombat said...

Hi Loon-like Lakota!

Are okay sweetheart?

Lakota said...

yeah doing good. busy as hell but that is good. miss you wombie. xxx