Monday, August 30, 2010

Customer Appreciation



Snafugirl was right, my Canadian lady's flexibility proved to be very important that day.

When I realized my careless mistake (by reversing the order of an airport transfer, told here) my reaction was to ring a driver mate. I asked him to check on the arrival time of the flight from Toronto, hoping that it was an hour late.

Too much to ask for?

Yep. The flight was early. Drat. At this point I'm on my way to Tampa airport.

Next, I tried the customer's number. For whatever reason, the call didn't work, not even diverting to voicemail. Damn. Nothing for it but to call The Boss.

Remarkably, he didn't launch. The rocket sat on the pad without the motors igniting. I gave him my estimated time of arrival at the airport, and suggested that he might like to call another company with cars closer. Nope. He wanted to salvage the situation.

After a few minutes he called back. The customer was at the airport, and was planning to have coffee while she waited for me. Foot to the floor time.

The Lincoln Towncar is a large automobile with a large engine, but it's not exactly a racer. In a straight line, however, on a nice smooth highway, she can move. Let's just say that I averaged somewhere in the hot-day Fahrenheit numbers that day, breaking my record as a chauffeur for the distance.

I attempted to call the customer with about five minutes to run, and this time she answered. Just the tiniest, almost unnoticeable hint of annoyance came through in her voice. A few minutes later, I spied her curbside and she was in the car and we were on our way. Elapsed time from recognition of mistake: 43 minutes.

Gratitude for her philosophic nature doesn't cover my emotion. Super grateful? She was damned gracious, with that valuable intellectual foothold: people make mistakes.

And after all that, she still insisted on tipping me. Amazing.

12 comments:

savannah said...

class, sugar. pure class. the other thing is that she knows it'll never happen again! xoxoxoxo

Wombat said...

Exactly, precisely, and perceptively correct, Sugar.

Anonymous said...

That lady must have the good part of Karma on her side. Glad it worked out and a tip too!

Wombat said...

My opinion, Snaf, based on a decently-sized sample, is that our Canadian cousins are blessed with the Karma.

Is it the cold? The moose? The Mounties?

Anyway, they're cool in my book.

Sammy said...

very cool story. glad it worked out well in the end!

Wombat said...

Yep, thanks Sammy. Thank goodness for patient, calm people.

Sammy said...

yesss, i LOVE it when the clients are patient, calm, and nice!

Wombat said...

Are you a driver too, Sammy?

Sammy said...

yes i am indeed! :) I can definitely relate to your posts and giggle because they all happened to me too!

Wombat said...

Cool. Where do you drive?

Sammy said...

up in Boston, Massachusetts

Wombat said...

Cool, Sammy.