Saturday, March 1, 2008

Driving Threads

At The Boss's Limousine Service, the stated uniform is black suit, black tie, black shoes and white shirt.

I am the only mug in Bossman's memory who actually took this to heart. On the day he gave me the job, I duly purchased a (cheap, oversize) black suit. Nobody employed since has done anything like that.

Susan, until this week our only female chauffeur, sports what amounts to a tuxedo when she drives. Black trousers, black waist-length jacket, white shirt with studs and a bowtie. Frankly I think the stiff shirt and bowtie are over-the-top, but she always looks the business.

Today, I want to present the best looking limousine drivers I have yet seen. These guys were in the west coast of Florida's limousine Mecca: the cellphone waiting lot at Tampa airport. Glamorous, eh?

As I drove in, their cool threads and Crockett and Tubbs demenour shouted at me to take their photo. So I did.



What other blogs are saying: Crockett and Tubbs, the tuxedo, bowtie Joe.

10 comments:

nitebyrd said...

They do look like a modern-day Crockett & Tubbs. Gods! I loved Miami Vice.

Wombat, I'm sure you're a fabulous looking driver.

Girl said...

And here I was hoping for a Wombat in a suit picture; furry like. :)


That's some pretty fancy footwear Tubbs is wearing.

Anonymous said...

Knowing a little about a wombats living habits Girl, I reckoned it'd be somewhat crumpled AND "furry like"! ;-)

They don't call it 'camouflage' for nothing Wombat! Want to become 'invisible' simply put on a uniform of the 'help'. Not just doormen, drivers, wait peoples, etc... in the right setting - anyone can render themselves completely invisible, simply by becoming something the other person simply doesn't 'see'.

I wear some of the most colourful shirts out there... I mean they are LOUD! African style (Thai knock-offs but) - the old hippy cut mostly - and it amazes me what people assume they see. The number of times I've been completely dismissed - people thinking me more of a clown then a 'threat', a 'thinker', a 'professional' (anything)... people expect very little from a fool!

I can't tell you how many times I've taken advantage of that lol - but I'm guessing you know EXACTLY what I mean mate!

Suits ar funny bits of kt... but they do their job well I reckon lol! ;-)

Iron Pugilist said...

Woman in a Tuxedo? Hawt.

L.P. said...

mmmmm - i bet Wombie looks yummy in a tux. ~shivering from the thought~
i'd go for a ride if you wore a tux...

Wombat said...

Why thank you, Nitebyrd, I scrub up reasonably well.

I can tell you I was mightily impressed by the boys, above, and thought the flair (not flares, thank goodness) they brought to their profession was commendable.

Maybe I'll go for a tangerine shirt and stitched shoes next time I'm at The Chauffeur's Shop.

You have an excellent eye for detail, Girl. They WERE really fancy shoes. More appropriate for a night out doing the Stomp than hauling bags from one's trunk.

Belongum, if I know anything about you, it is that you UPOD.

Under Promise, and Over Deliver.

Sartorially, and every other way I suspect. It's a great way to be, knowing who you are and what you know, and yet knowing the other
person will make judgements based on nothing. Or your shirt.

I'm sure you have lots of fun with that.

IP, that, in general, is true.

Not of Carol though. Photo follows.

Why Lakota, my tux is the least of it.

Parva scintilla saepe magnam flamam excitat

L.P. said...

mmm-hhmmm... and i'm gonna go up in flames if you keep reciting latin... ~shiver~

Wombat said...

The Flaming Lakota.

Sounds like a sophisticated cocktail to me.

L.P. said...

"You're riding in my car
I turn on the radio
I'm pulling you closer
But you keep tellin' me no
You say you don't like it
But I know you're a liar
'Cause when we kiss
Ooh...
Fire"

i now have this playing in my head. your fault.

Wombat said...

This has given me a few Pointers on how to handle you, LP.