Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Beer in a Limousine



Beer has no downside.

Let me clarify that: it has one downside, and that is that fluid cannot be stored in the body forever. As the aphorism goes, once the cork's out of the bottle, there's no stopping it, so part of the art of drinking beer is the science of keeping one's beer buoyancy. Simply put, go to the bathroom regularly, and you'll always have room for more beer.

During the recent basketball finals, I drove some long-time customers to watch Cleveland play Orlando, in Orlando. These guys were very well organized. They had good tickets right under the bucket, they had changes of clothing, they were calling all their friends to make sure they looked for them on television, and they had beer.

They had a lot of beer.

Limousines have iceboxes, but they're delicate, effeminate things, meant more for wine or champagne. Even the biggest of them can hold only 2/3 of a six-pack together with the ice, and so are only marginally useful for committed beer-drinkers, like my guys that night.

The answer if you're a beer-a-philic limousine renter is to load up some boffo-sized coolers into the passenger compartment, put a spare in the trunk, and an 'emergency cooler' up front with me. I was in awe of their style.

Fast forward to about four-hundred yards short of I-4's exit 83, the exit for Orlando's home, Amway Stadium. My boys have already stopped twice for de-fueling. Unfortunately the finals traffic overwhelmed the available road, and so we were proceeding at about ten yards per quarter hour.

Inevitably, the lads started talking about their need to retain beer buoyancy. It was mooted that we were moving so slowly that they could jump out, piss on the freeway, and jump back in before we'd moved too far.

This is not the kind of talk one wants to hear as a limo driver. A vision of sober recriminations, lawsuits and The Boss blaming me scared me to action.

"Why not use the plastic cups?" I confidently suggested. "They're what I use when I'm caught short."

Some muttering ensued, a few minutes passed, we traveled another three feet, and I see the "Door Ajar" light illuminate on my dashboard. It goes out. Then it goes on again. Then it goes out.

You get the picture. My gentlemen had figured out that a slash in a cup relieved the pressure, and the only place to dump the product was on the highway. Problem is that a plastic cup holds only so much.

Most guys were what we later called "Three Door Openers", but the winner was a "Four Door Opener".

And they say the NBA has all the champions.



Technorati: , , , .

14 comments:

savannah said...

OH.MY.GAWD.

ok, now i have to clean up the keyboard! men are too funny, sugar! xoxox

Wombat said...

The intriguing thing about the whole adventure is that the guys used one cup. Meaning that they had to stop mid-flow when it was full, open the door, empty, and then resume peeing, stop, open the door etc. Three or four times.

Stopping in the middle just ain't that easy, at least not for me!

Hope I made you laugh, Sugar.

Don said...

Oh boy! I'm sure glad I wasn't stuck behind or beside your limo! It does remind me of being stuck in traffic one time and someone in the car in front of me was puking out the passenger side (and down the side of the car as well. Yeech!

Wombat said...

According to the guys, the people behind us looked increasingly quizzical as the door kept opening and closing, each time a cup of fluid being dumped on the roadway.

I wonder what they thought was going on!

Puke, as they say, is better outside the limo than in. (Paint is easier to clean.)

Enigma said...

OMG, where to start with this post?, the breadth, and indeed the depth of it boggles the mind, will have to think of a suitable reply, one that honors it more in depth later.

Wombat said...

Well, you could start by offering me a cold one to crack while we talk about it, Enigma.

Just what is it that horrifies you? Boorish male behaviour, overindulgence, the fact you weren't invited along?

*kidding!*

Eagerly (I think) awaiting your considered analysis. (Although I fear it might hurt too.)

Enigma said...

Oh No,

no wombi, quite the contrary, I wasn't horrified at all, my fine young marsupial, I was just amazed and gob smacked at how you have covered such a wide variety of subjects and the deep thinking analysis you have offered of those afore mentioned subjects, all neatly packed into one small blog space.
And just to show you how impressed i am ,let me fetch you another cold one.

*Cracks open a tinny for Wombi*
So there,there , no need to be hesitant

Wombat said...

Ah-hah!

*takes sip from tinny*

Come sit down next me, Foxish one, and lets have a good old gasbag.

Enigma said...

Why certainly,I'll join you in a cold one,Wombi, I brought the Heineken.

Let me just arrange my tails *fluffs tails over bar stool*.
There, ready for a good long natter.

savannah said...

you did make me laugh, sugarpie! as did the news words i've learned natter, gasbag, tinny
xooxoo

Enigma said...

Good onya , Savannah, i reckon your a real beaut Sheila, absolutely dinky di, and a real deadset fair dinkum grouse bird, You are Ridgy-didge mate, definatley not an okker, and i am rapt to know you.
I'll stop taking over Wombi's blog now.LOL

Wombi and i have to do the Ozzie thing every now and then.

Wombat said...

Onya Enigma, it's good to hear the home lingo. I think we can make Savannah an honorary dinky-di Aussie, don't you think?

No worries re: taking over the blog, it's way more fun when you do that.

Enigma said...

streuth mate, thanks ....do you want me to fetch you another coldie, and maybe put a snag on the brabie?

Wombat said...

Strewth.

Haven't heard that in yonks.