Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Gas Station Fauna


Evolutionary biologists and genetic archeologists would profit by spending time studying the fauna inhabiting gas stations. An entire eco-system lives within a few hundred yards of some gas vendors, particularly the one near downtown of which I am a frequent patron.

Firstly, there is a community of dumpster-divers living behind the main building. As is customary, they live off out-of-date bread and half-eaten burgers. Lucky for them, and likely not a coincidence, there is a fast food joint across the road, and of course the gas station itself sells any amount of crap to eat.

It's pretty clear that these dumpster-dwellers thrive because of the Use By Date phenomenon. Odd to think that both public health advocates and freegans share the same lobbyists in DC.

Secondly, there are the bicycle people. These folks remind me of subsistence farmers in Indonesia or Laos. Instead of crates of live chickens or stands of banana leaves stacked yards high on their bikes, our local version have Target bags and styrofoam fruit boxes front and rear. I assume that their entire world is attached to that bike, giving a new spin to Easy Rider. Being sufficiently free of wordly goods to the point where they can all be carried on one bicycle has a certain appeal. And a growing one, if the numbers of bike-people are a guide.

Thirdly there is a lone vet begging for change at the nearby traffic lights. It's amazing to me that colleges are producing such an overabundance of veterinarians in this country. Obviously, the demand for animal health maintenance is way out of balance with the number of professionals who can provide that service. And with the burden of school loans, folks like my guy at the station are reduced to holding out a hat. I'd get him to check out my cat, but where would he consult? On the counter at Wendy's?

I have only begun to describe the different species. It's a real jungle out there.


Technorati: , , , .

7 comments:

savannah said...

so, i've been pondering this entry for a couple of days. why, you might wondered, sugar, is savannah so intrigued by this observation and discourse. well, very simply, she needs the distraction. and you have provided it! xoxoxo

Enigma said...

hmmm, this just goes to show how cheaply we really can live, if we arent suporting a vetinary practice, of course.

Wombat said...

Ah, I'm pleased to hear that you're kept entertained by my distractions, Sugar.

If only you could see how firmly my tongue is in my cheek at times, you'd see just how silly I am. And how foolish I look with my tongue in my cheek.

*puts tongue in cheek to demonstrate*

Enigma, my thrice-tailed vulpine friend, one can live very cheaply on free food and hand-outs. My only question is how to maintain acceptable personal hygiene standards, coz edgy living like I describe apparently mandates total stinkiness.

savannah said...

;~D i already know, sugar! that's why i love (reading) you so much! xoxxo

Enigma said...

A belated comment back.Y

ou CAN stay clean, theres always the WMCA showers, the ones in techs, unis and various other places.

See i have it all worked out, my marsupial friend.

Wombat said...

You do indeed have it worked out, my Albino Carnivore friend. Now, hows about you come here to Florida and show the smelly ones the way to the running water?

Good luck with that. (I want to watch this!)

Enigma said...

"Albino Carnivore" ?
I have been called many things in my life, but that one seems to suit the most.