Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Smile



It goes like this:

Me: Hey boss, what's up (answering cellphone)

Boss: Hey, Wombat. Got an interesting one for you.

Me: Should I get in the shower?

Boss: Yep. Then call me back.

Me: Okay.

I'm the go-to guy. Being single and childless (although not without family entirely), The Boss sees me as the last minute driver of choice, and I have almost always responded. Flexibility is a virtue, and makes you money.

This job is all about how you approach it. I have found that people respond to you, in more ways than I might have imagined. A smile is the best weapon. A smile, that most simple of expressions, can make the most uptight person melt just a little, creating goodwill all around.

Once you understand the value of a big, goofy, welcoming grin, it can change your life. It's like being a kid again, because so few people SMILE anymore. Service is perfunctory everywhere...

...have a good day....


...thanks for shopping here...


...we appreciate your custom...


Yes, but your actions don't match the words. Genuinely being grateful for someone's business, and showing it, makes being a servant that much easier, and trust me, people do notice.

2 comments:

Don said...

Got it in one. Not acting like you dread every moment you are working makes all the difference. For the absolute worst, check out most people working at Walmart or Kmart. Examples of the best behavior are few and far between.

Wombat said...

Hah, funny you should mention WalMart, Don. I was there today, and not only wondered what I was doing spending my money there, but whether I'd catch tuberculosis, or indeed die from sales staff hostility.

It's a price-only experience that one.