Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mission Impossible


Put yourself in this position:

You are to drive an older lady to an airport around two hours from here. You will wait there for a friend who will arrive on a flight, collect the friend, and drive them both to a hotel a few miles away. You will then drive home.

Sounds easy, right? Three or four discrete steps that should be a limousine driver's bread and butter. Simple in theory, a plan that a child could execute.

First problem: the older lady is on a hair-trigger. The smallest slight results in her shouting an inquisatorial rebuke.

Second problem: She isn't familiar with normal towncar/airport conventions. It's normal for someone we are meeting at the kerb to wait at the baggage claim level, close to the baggage belt for their particular flight.

Third problem: She is hard of hearing. When her friend called, it all worked but for one item. My woman heard baggage belt "twenty-four" as "seventy-four" and so relayed that number to me.

Fourth problem: When a plan goes astray, as this one did, the trick is not to panic. We need to contact the person waiting and reformulate the plan. Shouting does not help the resolution of misunderstandings.

Fifth problem: If I had've actually talked to the arriving customer I would have know what she said. The fact that you ask me what she said when you alone talked to her simply confirms what I'd decided - you're insane.

Sixth problem: If you have no pressing appointments, staying cool is really cool.

Seventh problem: When everything is resolved, and quickly, regaining your cool is cool.

Eighth problem: Blaming me for your inability to communicate adequately is insane.









Pic from here [link]

Also published here [link]

4 comments:

savannah said...

welcome to the world of driving miss daisy, sugar! ;~D xoxoxox

Wombat said...

OMG. Is it THAT bad Sugar????

I was thinking violent thoughts you know...but only thinking.

Yeah, ha ha, Don, the big bucks.

Actually, in this case her ride was paid for by a third party who pre-gratuitized, and pre-gratuitized very well.

So the pain was slightly mitigated.

It's the frustration of dealing with irrationality that turns my crank.

Anonymous said...

This happens to Limo drivers too...?

Strangly Wombat - that comforts me like you wouldn't believe ;-)

Mate - hope all's well on your side of the globe - it's been a long while between yarns - I fell away from blogging for a 'bit'... it hurt my head!

Happy to be back though...

Cheers (Insert sound of a 'stubby' opening HERE)

Wombat said...

Belongum! How are you doing Mate?

Oh, how you tease me with the sound of the stubby....cruelty I tell you, pure cruelty. ;-)

Yeah, things are ticking along hereabouts. Surviving, which is the name of the game. Everything okay there in the Great West? Freeoh gunna win the Grand Final this year???

I'll check out your return to blogging. Nice to see you back.