Sunday, January 27, 2008

Strippers to Miami (the whole story)


Can you go to Miami tonight? Harry, breathless as ever when there's a sniff of easy money.

Sure, who's the customer?

There's a lady you're taking to the Ritz-Carlton, just pick her up and drive her there, I've already run the credit card. Her boyfriend is paying, he's really missing her.

Boyfriend? Really?

Just get to the office, I'll tell you more when you get here.

He really must have been missing her, because Harry charged him $400, a pretty decent innings even when you take out my cut, the gas and the tolls.

Unfortunately, the story isn't quite as romantic as it appears. The young lady concerned was polite enough when I collected her, and she brought a friend. A very unhappy looking younger friend, I might add, whose own boyfriend was not pleased she was leaving. He gave me the stink eye, to which my response was to give him one of Harry's cards, breezily telling him that any limousine hire he needed, we wanted the business.

Once under way, Beverly was on the phone. We found out that she:

-> Worked at Cheetahs (a strip joint), but didn't really like it as much as her old club.

-> Had left her six month-old son to undertake this desperate journey.

-> The 'boyfriend' in Miami was some rich dude she'd met whilst stripping.

My guess at her age, confirmed by the driver who brought them back, was that she was 21, and the friend was 20.

I'm never sure of the current PC way to view strippers. Should we laud them for being independent women, living out their dreams, having complete control over their lives and bodies?

Or should we see them as victims of oppressive men, exploited for sex and their sexuality, unable to find decent paid work that an equivalent male would get easily?

Frankly, I couldn't help but think of her baby. If you're a father, you know you've fucked up when you find out your daughter's a stripper. If you're the child of a stripper, what do you think? In any case, the child obviously had no dad, and that is the worst part of the entire tale.

So, yes, I took two strippers to Miami, but it was a lesson in irresponsibility and the frailty of man. No glamour there.

Technorati: , , , .

10 comments:

Iron Pugilist said...

No, I don't look down on strippers. I simply see them as unfavored by fate, amongst others. But then again, I can never tell who do it for fun and who do it out of necessity.

I know, Wombat... let's date some and then blog about it.

Girl said...

They're just so very, very young.

I don't know that at 20 that I would have been choosing for myself. I'd have said that I chose the job but I wonder.

The money would be hard to give up but how much of yourself do you give up in the meantime?

Darkneuro said...

heh. Dealt with my comment in a post over at my place. :D

L.P. said...

I don't see a problem with stripping anymore than I see a problem with women who put on skimpy clothes and flash pom-poms around. It's a choice. And while most of society may turn it's nose up at one and not the other it's merely a matter of perception really.

Most of the young girls filling the hospital nurseries with offerings are working at MickyDs and Wallymarts, not strip joints.

Don said...

Strippers, glamour - in the same sentence? Come on! Some girls think it's easy money. I guess it may seem so but it's a hell of a thing to sell yourself. Most of us are older before we realize how important the self is but by then it can almost be gone.

As for being the father of a stripper, I am one. Where the hell do think they come from? Pluto? She has a mother too. You can raise your kids the best way you can but you can't live their lives for them. You just have to keep on loving and helping them whether they are strippers, firefighters or limo drivers. And no, I don't think we fucked up her upbringing.

nitebyrd said...

As a parent, you do the best you can for your children. You teach them right from wrong (hopefully), push (correctly?) for them to be and do better than you. In the end, you find out they are people. They will do what they want and what they think is best for them.

Being a stripper isn't a horrid choice. Choice, is the key here. So is having children. With all the available birth control and various means to get it, getting pregnant should be a choice 99.9% of the time.

I would prefer to have a hard working stripper as a child than to have a serial killer or lawyer for a child.

Enigma said...

I used to work with strippers and hookers(and not in THAT way) and most of them are young girls, that get lured by the big easy money..unfortunatly a lot of them become drug addicts to deal with the life, and I didnt meet one of them that was happy deep down...but as a mother that brought her child up from 6 months old, with no financial help from anyone..I can apreciate what a difficult choice it might be, and some of these woman dont really have a choice, if its the differance between working 10 hours a day,at $4.50 per hour, or doing 4 hour shifts at $150.00 per hour, the choise may seem obvious.
So it is hard all round

Iron Pugilist said...

I hope I get the same respect from you guys when I become a Hong Kong Triad Hitman.

Unknown said...

I can't believe that I'm going to say this.

The stripper I know is money-hungry, and wants to appear sexy to get men's attention, wealth and drugs. I don't respect her.

Is it bad that I judge all strippers based on her? Maybe, but I will anyways.

"Some rich dude"? Exaaaaaclty.

Wombat said...

IP, it's an individual thing, I think. Some strippers have to be strippers, and some want to be.

You set up the dates, and I'll be there.

Ah, my point exactly, Girl. Very young, and really too young. You hit on my other thought, which is how much self do you hand out to the leering crowd?

Not good for the soul, that particular game.

Yes, and very effectively too, Darkneuro.

Good one. Although I don't think you quite answered my question. Wink.

Fair enough, Lakota. I think there is a difference between having pom-poms and a skirt, and gyrating one's vagina in front of strange drunk men for money, but that's just me.

That was the nature of my question regarding the current thinking in these matters. Expression or oppression?

Don, your point is absolutely right, you can't control what your daughter does.

Nitebyrd, I see we both have the same opinion of lawyers and serial killers, although lumping them together in the one sentence seems unjust to the killers.

Bring out the knife for them both, I say.

VI, that's true. No way around it.

Yes, Enigma, and that's my point in blaming the fathers, not the mothers.

The men should be taking responsibility for both the mother and the child. But that's just my opinion.

IP, as a hitman, you'll write a cutting blog, I just know it.

See, Kelly, you and I are on the same track. Some choices are made with the wrong aim in mind. Doing the right thing is often more difficult, but better in the long run.

My thought is, if stripping for a living is the answer, what is the question?